I’m so happy to be partnering with Cabot Cheese to bring you Instant Pot Garlic Beef Stroganoff: creamy, extra garlicky, mushroom and onion gravy enrobing tender beef cubes, with perfect pasta all cooked together in the Instant Pot. Instant Pot Garlic Beef Stroganoff has to be one of the most simple, crave-worthy comfort foods ever to be adapted to the world of electric pressure cookers. All recipes, photos, and opinions remain- as always- my own.
I’m hard pressed to come up with a dish that is more comforting than Beef Stroganoff, but my schedule dictates that even my comfort has to come on a pretty tight timeline, so I don’t often get around to making it…
That is until I realized that my Instant Pot was the perfect way to whip up Stroganoff more quickly, and Instant Pot Garlic Beef Stroganoff was born.
What cut of beef do I use for Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff?
Instant Pot Garlic Beef Stroganoff is an electric pressure cooker spin on my favourite extra-garlicky beef stroganoff. Because the countertop pressure cooker makes even the toughest cuts of beef far more tender than you might ordinarily expect, you can get away with a leaner cut that would normally take hours to braise or stew to tender perfection.
I use top round for our Instant Pot Garlic Beef Stroganoff because it is inexpensive and holds up beautifully in the pressure cooker. More expensive and exquisite cuts of beef are unnecessary here and would be wasted since you can get the desired flavour and texture with the less expensive top round.
When you make stove-top beef stroganoff, you generally cut the beef into thin strips to sear. Since we are both changing the cut of beef with which we start and the method of cooking, we’ll change the shape and size to which we cut the beef, too.
For Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff, we want to cut the beef into 1-inch cubes. This shape holds up better than strips do in pressure cooking and the size ensures that you’ll get a tender final product with less cooking time.
What kind of pressure cooker should I use?
You can use an Instant Pot or a stove top pressure cooker; either will work well. While the recipe gives instructions based on an Instant Pot electric pressure cooker, you can easily translate that to using the stove top cooker.
I use this particular model of Instant Pot, but any variety of other electric pressure cookers will work well, too, so long as they have the ability to set the pressure to high or low manually and a sautee or browning setting.
What makes Stroganoff creamy?
In the classic Beef Stroganoff recipe, the creaminess is provided by sour cream stirred into the gravy at the end of cooking. In our Instant Pot Garlic Beef Stroganoff, we substitute plain Greek yogurt for the sour cream. The Greek yogurt gives the tang and creaminess of the sour cream while adding extra protein to the mix, making this dish even more satisfying.
Cook’s Notes for Instant Pot Garlic Beef Stroganoff
- This recipe calls for 2-ish pounds of beef. You can go with closer to a pound and a half for a more saucy end product or closer to 2 1/4 pounds for a heartier Instant Pot Garlic Beef Stroganoff.
- You don’t need to be surgically precise with your knife work, but try to have your cubes of beef roughly the same size. This helps all of the beef reach the same degree of tenderness and doneness simultaneously.
- Guys. Don’t skimp on the garlic. That’s sort of the point of Garlic Beef Stroganoff.
- I prefer Cabot Plain Greek Yogurt for this recipe. I love the consistently high quality of Cabot products. Do not substitute nonfat Greek yogurt because that does not heat the same way and may curdle.
- Likewise, don’t substitute skinnier egg noodles for the wide ones here. Thin noodles will be reduced to mush in the specified time given.
- Don’t be limited to one carb. I know it sounds like heresy, but this Instant Pot Garlic Beef Stroganoff (complete with egg noodles) is absolutely divine scooped over a baked potato or mashed potatoes. Double the carbs equals double the fun.
Use these to make Instant Pot Garlic Beef Stroganoff:
Need some more excellent Instant Pot recipes? Try Instant Pot Ropa Vieja, Instant Pot Bacon Garlic Rice, Instant Pot Pork Chops in Creamy Mushroom Sauce, or How to Make a Whole Chicken in an Instant Pot. If you’re looking for an excellent dishes and desserts to have with the Instant Pot Garlic Beef Stroganoff, try Lady Greyhound Cocktail, Dark & Stormy Orchard, Garlic Parmesan Green Beans, Melting Sweet Potatoes, Orange Olive Oil Cake with Candied Oranges, and Pumpkin Spice Cake with Maple Frosting and Apple Cider Caramel.
Instant Pot Garlic Beef Stroganoff
Instant Pot Garlic Beef Stroganoff: creamy, extra garlicky, mushroom and onion gravy enrobing tender beef cubes, with perfect pasta all cooked together in the Instant Pot. This has to be one of the most simple, crave-worthy comfort foods ever to be adapted to the world of electric pressure cookers.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil separated
- 2 pounds beef top round sliced into 1-inch cubes
- 2 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt divided
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 ounces whole small white button mushrooms or sliced cremini or white mushrooms
- 1 onion peeled and diced
- 6 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups low sodium beef stock
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 12 ounces dried extra wide egg noodles
- 1 cup plain whole milk Greek yogurt not nonfat
- fresh parsley for garnish
Drizzle half of the olive oil into the Instant Pot. Set the pot to SAUTE and press the more button so that it is on high saute.
Sprinkle 1 1/2 teaspoons of the salt and pepper over the beef cubes and toss to distribute evenly.
When the oil shimmers in the Instant Pot, add half of the beef cubes. Stir and cook until all sides of the beef cubes are brown. Transfer to a bowl. Add the second tablespoon of oil to the pan and when it is shimmery, add the remaining beef cubes to the Instant Pot, repeating the process, and transferring the browned cubes to the bowl with the others.
Melt the butter in the Instant Pot and then add the mushrooms, onions, and garlic, with the remaining 3/4 teaspoon of salt. Stir and cook for about 4 minutes, or until the onions have softened but are not caramelized or browned.
Sprinkle the flour over the mixture and stir until evenly distributed. Continue to stir while cooking for 1 to 2 minutes, or until a film has formed on the bottom of the Instant Pot pan.
Pour in about 1 cup of the beef stock and use a sturdy spoon to scrape the bottom of the pan, bringing up any bits that are stuck to it. Pour in the remaining beef stock, Worcestershire sauce, Dijon mustard, and thyme. Return the beef to the pan.
Fix the lid in place, making sure the knob is set to "SEAL". Press MANUAL and set to HIGH PRESSURE for 12 minutes. Quick release the pressure according to the manufacturer's instructions.
Stir in the egg noodles, then fix the lid back in place, turn the knob back to SEAL, and manually set the Instant Pot to HIGH PRESSURE for another 5 minutes. Quick release the pressure again, and let the mixture rest for 5 minutes with the lid ajar.
Stir in the Greek yogurt, then garnish with chopped parsley and serve immediately.