Homemade Cultured Buttermilk

I use a lot of buttermilk.  And by ‘a lot’ I mean a ton.  Many of my baked goods contain buttermilk.  Much of my salad dressing uses buttermilk.  And The Evil Genius?  He drinks buttermilk. *  We go through a lot of the stuff.  And I may have mentioned that I live in the middle of nowhere in Amish country before (or a million times before, but who’s counting?) so frequent last minute trips to the store are not convenient.

*Now before any of you out there yawp with a resounding, “EW!” let me just mention that millions of Southerners and displaced Southerners are right now saying, “Mmmmmmmm! A nice tall glass of buttermilk with salt and pepper sounds mighty fine right now.”  A reminder: never yuck another person’s yum.  Unless we’re talking durian, then all bets are off… (You may want to read about my family vs. Durian.)

There are probably quite a few of you out there saying, “Oh pish,” (Someone other than me says that, right?), “All you have to do is add a little vinegar or lemon juice to milk and you get the same thing.  Why buy buttermilk?”  See?  I just knew someone out there was saying it.  Not so fast!  It’s not the same thing.  To prove my point, I have to make a scientific sidebar.

Scientific Sidebar Alert!

Buttermilk is used in recipes for several important reasons:

• Buttermilk is acidic, so it helps invigorate leavening agents -such as baking powder, baking soda and yeast- when added to baked goods.  The acid also helps combat discoloration in baked goods and promotes deep, beautiful browning.
  • Buttermilk contains natural emulsifiers; this improves texture and aroma, and extends shelf life after baking.
  • Remember how buttermilk is acidic?  That makes it a wonderful addition to marinades for chicken and pork.  The acid helps tenderize the meat and gives it a tangy flavor.
  • You know the ‘cultured’ part of cultured buttermilk?  It’s good for you. It contains many active cultures similar to those found in yogurt. Most of the cultures generally found in buttermilk are form the Lactococcus Lactis family and many of their subspecies.  Those cultures are what make buttermilk so thick and creamy.  And what?  Good for you!

Now that you know more than you probably ever wanted to know about buttermilk let’s get onto the ‘Why make my own?’ thing.  Because you can.  Seriously.  You need more than that?  Okay.  Also make it because it’s dirt cheap, it’s super simple, it’s really fun and you’ll never run out of buttermilk again.

Hang on one second.  Someone out there just said, “I never use a whole thing of buttermilk.  What do I do with all that buttermilk?”  I’m so glad you asked.  How about a few of these ideas:

Bacon and Swiss Rye Muffins These are every bit as good as they sound and as easy as pie.  No wait!  They’re easier than pie.  Pie can be hard.

Buttermilk Cornbread Rounds Based on my Grandma’s Buttermilk Cornbread recipe, these perfectly portioned cornbread rounds fit neatly in the hand and go anywhere cornbread goes, but look cuter doing it!  This one’s going a little way back in the FWF archives.  When you read it, please forgive the “I’m learning” format!

Buttermilk Pancakes Nothing beats beautiful, light, airy buttermilk pancakes smothered in real maple syrup.  Nothing.  This one’s also reaching back.  Wow.  I played around with those fonts and indentations a bit, didn’t I?

Garam Masala Depression Cake from Val.  Nothin’ depressing about THAT cake, I’ll tell you. We’re talking about a decadent, Garam Masala flavored chocolate cake with orange buttercream and toasted coconut.  Oh my. I only take issue with the number of servings Val specified in it.  It looks like a one-person cake to me.

I would be remiss if I didn’t mention these others…

Are you good and hungry yet?  Excellent.  Let’s make some buttermilk.  I promise it doesn’t take but two shakes.

Homemade Cultured Buttermilk

Scroll to the bottom for an easy-print version of this recipe!

Ingredients:

• 1/4 to 1/2 cup cultured buttermilk (from the store or home cultured)
  • 1 to 2 quarts skim,1%,  2%, or whole milk from the store or raw milk

Also needed:

• 1 clean, dry quart or half gallon jar with a tight fitting two piece lid.

Okay.  Ready?  If you blink you’ll miss how to do it.

Pour buttermilk (1/4 cup for a quart jar or 1/2 cup for a half gallon jar) into your clean jar.  Top off the jar with your plain milk.  Tightly screw lid to the jar and shake vigorously for 1 minute.  Place in a warm (but not hot) area out of direct sunlight.  Let it sit there for 12 to 24 hours, until thickened.  Refrigerate when thick.  Use within two weeks.  If you re-culture this regularly, you can carry on re-culturing indefinitely.  I always feel like I’m stickin’ it to the man when I do homemade stuff like this.  Who doesn’t love beating the system?

Now here’s a glimpse of my finished product.  Note that mine is super thick.  I used raw, whole milk to culture my buttermilk.  If you use skim, it may end up a little thinner than what you see here.

4.5 from 11 reviews
Homemade Cultured Buttermilk
Author:
Recipe type: Ingredient, Condiment, Home Cheese Making
Prep time:
Total time:
Serves: 12

Once you've made this you'll never want to go back to storebought cultured buttermilk or vinegar soured milk. This is thick and creamy and tangy and perfect.
Ingredients
  • ¼ to ½ cup cultured buttermilk (from the store or home cultured)
  • 1 to 2 quarts skim,1%, 2%, or whole milk from the store or raw milk
  • Also needed:
  • 1 clean, dry quart or half gallon jar with a tight fitting two piece lid.
Instructions
  1. Okay. Ready? If you blink you'll miss how to do it.
  2. Pour buttermilk (1/4 cup for a quart jar or ½ cup for a half gallon jar) into your clean jar. Top off the jar with your plain milk. Tightly screw lid to the jar and shake vigorously for 1 minute. Place in a warm (but not hot) area out of direct sunlight. Let it sit there for 12 to 24 hours, until thickened. Refrigerate when thick. Use within two weeks.
Notes
If you re-culture this regularly, you can carry on re-culturing indefinitely. I always feel like I'm stickin' it to the man when I do homemade stuff like this. Who doesn't love beating the system?

Comments

Silly question, I’m sure, but I’m just learning so much stuff lately. Why does it need to be a 2 part lid? Because you were so specific in the direction, I just wanted to be ask in case I was missing something along the way.

I’m looking forward to this, actually. I’ll be one of those that says ewwwwwwwwww because I hate milk. Really. I’m transitioning my kids back to whole milk, but they aren’t buttermilk fans, either. However, even if we’re not drinking it, I definitely want to be cooking/baking with it more.

• Rebecca says

Thanks for the support Valli!

Darcy- Not a silly question at all! I specified the two-piece lid because it is what more folks have available to them. If you have another equally tight fitting lid, you can certainly use that in place of the two-piece lid! I’m not a milk drinker either, but I certainly do enough cooking with it.

2. Amanda says

Brilliant! I am always looking for ways to make things at home and save some money. I have a question though. How do you re-culture the mixture?

• Rebecca says

Amanda- Good question. You save the last 1/4 cup of the jar of buttermilk you made and pour it into a clean jar which you top off with fresh milk, shake, and let rest at room temperature again. If you re-culture it at least once a week and use clean jars, you should be able to re-culture indefinitely!

You have just changed my life! I NEVER have buttermilk on hand so I’ve been making it the vinegar route but thinking it’s not as good. Who knew I could culture my own and it would keep for 2 weeks?!

By reculture, do you mean taking some of the old buttermilk and mixing with the new milk and repeating the process? Just want to make sure I do this right.

4. Traci says

I love love love this post!! Recipes that use buttermilk are my fav..but it’s so expensive! I normally do the whole lemon juice trick…but never again! Thanks for saving us more money and making our food better! :)

I am raising my 9 month old daughter to be a good eater (I hope lol) and somehow ended up on your web site. I love your photos and writing. By the way, you’ve almost convinced me to try drinking buttermilk!!

I got a recognition award from a fellow blogger the other day. Very Nice. I was asked to pass it on to other bloggers I like. You are on the list. Check out the posting at my blog, Global Table…

Sasha

6. Christine says

Hi from up in Canada in Vancouver! I learned of your site some time ago from Food and Whine and have been quietly making TONS of your stuff and failing to thank you or comment on how marvelous it has all been (ok I was worried about the black beans when I tasted part way through, but they were great and perfect with the also muy delicioso cuban pork)!

On to buttermilk. The current buttermilk in my fridge (hopefully destined for some kind of supermoist and dense lemon poppyseed or blueberry muffin or bread – got a favourite recipe for that?) doesn’t say “cultured” but the ingredient list mentions bacterial culture – do you think I can assume I’ve got the right stuff? Does it matter if I top off whole milk “starter” with skim milk or vice versa? I think it would be handy to have both on hand…

Final confession – being especially northern I don’t drink buttermilk, but really love extensively tasting raw batter for baked goods that contain it…. I bet everybody else does too!

Thanks for everything!

Very cool post!

I have been making “buttermilk” with vinegar for awhile now and I’m actually glad to see a better method. I don’t really use a lot of buttermilk so I hate having to buy it for just a small amount and then always wasting the rest when it goes bad.

Thanks Rebecca!

Ooh, I’m very excited about this. I’m one of those ppl who has a buttermilk container sitting in the fridge since the last time I needed it – wondering if buttermilk can actually “go bad.”

But, if I made a science project out of it, I might be more “vested” in the project. Perhaps I would make some of those scrumptious looking buttermilk pancakes or garam masala cake you featured! Yum!

(Waves at Darcy and Lisa.)
    Lisa – thanks for telling us about this gal.
    Looks like this blog is a keeper – adding it to my read regularly list :)
    DanaMc

9. Rebecca says

Lisa Glad you found me! (Thank you, Krysta!)

Mayberry Magpie- Hi Joan! You got it right. Reculturing is just taking a little of the current batch to make a new batch. It’s like the dairy gift that keeps on giving.

Ranee- Bad is good! Down with government! (That’s a ‘The Tick’ quote in case my nefarious blog is being monitored.)

Traci- You are mighty welcome! Thanks for being here.

Sascha-Thanks for the sweet award and thank you for raising an adventurous eater!

Christine-) You can definitely mix and match your starter and milk butterfat. Go where your whimsy takes you! It’s very forgiving… And thank YOU for everything. It’s nice to know people are playing along in the kitchen with me. :-)

Liam-First, great name. I’m pretty partial to it myself… :-) Second, you’re welcome. It’s fun, isn’t it?

DanaMc-Yay! I’m excited that you’re excited. And I’m glad Lisa’s bringing her friends along. Party at my house. I’ll provide the buttermilk. :-)

10. Susan says

Thanks so much for the buttermilk recipe. After I made some I remembered hearing Paula Dean mentioning on her show that you could make creme fraiche. I did some searching and found it!!! To one cup of heavy cream (not ultra pastuerized) add either 2 tablespoons of sour cream or buttermilk and keep out at room temperature (covered) for at least 4 hours or overnight. After it’s thickened, cover with cling wrap and put it in the refrigerator. This is much cheaper than creme fraiche but it may take some looking to find the heavy cream that is not ultra pasteurized. Some health food stores have it and I found it at Trader Joe’s.

11. Rebecca says

Susan- You are most welcome! And there really is nothing like homemade creme fraiche, is there? You’re absolutely right about how finding non-ultrapasteurized cream is the tricky part. Even when you’re watching for it it’s hard to find. Booo. I just hit up my friends with dairy cows. :-)

12. Trish says

I’m on a “homemade” mission as of late and plan on making butter tomorrow. I apologize for the novice question that will soon follow…Is the liquid that remains after making butter considered buttermilk? Would the remnants be “cultured buttermilk” or is there a process that would transform them into this much sought after substance? I only ask because I plan on making cream cheese with the “buttermilk” after the butter experiment is complete. Thanks for any insight you have to offer!

• Rebecca says

Hiya Trish- Great question! When you make butter, the liquid that comes off is indeed old-fashioned buttermilk. It is a very low-fat product as most of the fat globules have gone into the butter. Old-fashioned buttermilk, because of it’s incredibly low fat content, is not usually used in cheese making. I have not used it successfully for cheese making.

Cultured buttermilk, as purchased in stores, is generally a direct-cultured (i.e. good bacterial cultures directly introduced to) skim milk. It is also low-fat, but the cultures thicken it. You could do an experiment with the old-fashioned buttermilk by adding 1 part store-bought cultured buttermilk to 3 parts old-fashioned buttermilk, shaking, and leaving at room temperature for 24 hours. If it clabbers (thickens) then it is now cultured low-fat buttermilk.

13. Becky says

I’m am so glad I found your excellent post. I’ve been getting raw milk (Jersey cows; delicious) for about a month now, but since I have to drive 40 minutes one way to pick it up, I felt compelled to get TWO gallons a week (it’s only $3 a gallon) so I didn’t run out (or use up more “food miles” than my conscience would allow…).

But, this has meant I’m often left with milk, at the end of the week. A friend sent me some of her kefir grains, and after my initial fear, that’s working great and we’re enjoying our home made kefir. BUT that didn’t use up enough.

So…I found this page! And it worked! Beautifully, in fact, and almost 24 hours to the minute, from when I started it. (Mine is yellower than your picture, because the cows are now on grass, and their milk has turned yellow) It feels like magic…like alchemy! I’ve turned straw into gold, I’ve found an endless supply of the Good Stuff. Almost still can’t believe it, but there it is, in the jar, labeled and ready to make delicious foods.

Thanks so much for the excellent instructions and pictures.

14. Mandy says

I just wanted you to know I have been making this buttermilk since you posted this and I love it! Thanks so much, I bake a lot so I use a lot of buttermilk, and I love being able to make my own- better, cheaper and ready when I need it!
    I just have to be sure to leave a note under the jar saying “leave out” so no one does me the favor of putting the buttermilk in the fridge when it is being cultured.

15. Jan says

I really want to make homemade bmilk but right now the only milk available to me is unhom. store bought milk. I’m worried about leaving this milk on the counter for 12 to 24 hrs. Is it safe to leave this out over night. If you could answer this I would love it!

16. Lisa says

I have to say that your site has really rocked my world. From finding out about the Artisan Bread in Five books (wow, who knew I could bake bread!) to this. I have made this twice now. The first time with skim milk, I wasn’t too pleased with the texture. It looked kind of seperated, not smooth. The second batch, I used 2% milk and got a much better result. I am totally hooked. What a great site. You are truely an inspiration!

17. Robbie says

Hi all — I am a lifelong buttermilk fan, so am thrilled to find this site. I went hunting for how to make my own, as I always wish I had more than what I have. One great way to use it? In the blender with chunks of frozen ripe bananas or strawberries(or any other fruit, really), maybe a little honey or other sweetener. It is so refreshing — tastes kind of like liquid cheesecake, and makes a wonderful breakfast when the weather is hot.

“you re-culture this regularly, you can carry on re-culturing indefinitely.” This is very true. In India, they have been re-culturing yogurt and buttermilk for more than 3,000 years! In my own family, we have a 40-year uninterrupted line of yogurt!

19. Laura says

We have been drinking raw milk for ages but I am still trying to learn to work with it beyond just drinking it. I hate that I didn’t grow up in the kitchen with some wonderful farm wife so I’d just know all the things I want to know…. I do make yogurt, so that I can do, and I’ve done butter.

So my questions:
    -Sometime we drink all our milk, sometimes we don’t. Is it better when making butter, yogurt, buttermilk, etc to use the milk at it’s freshest? B/c I sometimes don’t know until the end of the week that I’ll have extra.

-How would I make home cultured buttermilk? Buy starter and go from there?

-If a baking recipe calls for milk, can I always sub buttermilk? If so, are the proportions the same? Do I also need to adjust the baking soda, baking powder or yeast???

Thanks in advance. So glad to have found this!

Laura

Thank you for the recipe. I have been looking for a simple 1 2 3 recipe.
    Also thanks for the great recipe ideas I want to give them a try.
    Keep on Cooking,
    -Brenda

I stumbled across this thanks to the wonders of Google…
    I have been searching high and low to try and find away to make buttermilk at home, from raw milk WITHOUT the use of a store-bought starter. Every recipe I can find says: “Raw milk buttermilk!!” and then proceeds with directions to add an amount of store-bought (read: pasteurized!) buttermilk as a starter. Can you say frustrating?
    So…your recipe says “home cultured” and I’m just wondered…do you mean home-cultured as-in “not using a store bought for starter”? And if so, would you share? :-)

22. Bryan says

I have been enjoying reading your blog posts. You have quite a few interesting recipes I would like to try. I do have a concern with this one, though. If the buttermilk ever gets a bad bacteria in it, it will never be killed. It will continually grow and move from batch to batch through your culture seed. I understand that its not a guarantee that you will get sick, but its high risk. For anyone else concerned about safety, be sure to warm the batch up enough to pasteurize it before moving to the next batch (don’t overcook though!). That way you wont contaminate your future batches. This is the way yogurt is typically done..

23. Connie says

Hi Rebecca, I also love buttermilk and use it all the time. Does it matter what type of buttermilk you use? Lowfat or whole? I also read your story on the durian. I never laughed so hard. I had tears in my eyes. Thanks for a great story, recipes and blog.

24. Nate says

Hi all, Just a quick question. I tried my culturing my first buttermilk and used whole milk, pasteurized, non-homogenized. It’s pretty thick stuff and still has a lot of cream in it. At 19 hrs I check the milk and its thick, tangy, smells almost cheese like. It seems to be thicker than what is pictured here and is just a little thinner than store bought yogurt, is this normal? Did i leave it too long? Or would the high cream content cause this?

• Rebecca says

Nate- That’s pretty normal! The high cream content does create a much thicker end product.

Connie- No. It doesn’t matter! I’m so glad you’re along for the ride.

Harold- Thank you muchly! You said it better than I could’ve. Just be sure your jar is sterile and if you’re concerned pasteurize the milk.

I’ll get back to everyone else, soon! It’s been nutty nuts here lately… I haven’t forgotten you all. :-)

25. Harold says

Just to reiterate, when you buy the store bought stuff it has to say on the bottle “cultured buttermilk” or it won’t work. I also heard that sour cream is from the same culture strain.

As for the contamination fear, Be sure that the container is super clean before starting. You can pasteurize your store bought sweet milk to a temp of 180 degrees and then let it cool to 80 to 90 degrees and then add your “starter” If the milk is too hot it will kill your starter.

I used to work for a milk bottling plant and we added salt to the mix, since making my own I often wonder why we added salt, It tastes good without it.

26. Bethann says

I do not have buttermilk on hand to use as a starter. I do have raw milk. I also have this product, but am unsure if it will start a batch right?
    Anyway, I tried. I just have a cup in my fridge now until I figure it out. 4 TB of the stuff added to 1 cup raw milk. Another site said it wasn’t what you really wanted.

Something else I would love to do: culture my own. But how? There’s so much on the web that I get all confused and dunno what to try. I hate to waste my milk! It’s gold! I have a half gallon in the crock pot to do yogurt now, 1 cup of cream in a jar to sour, and had 1 cup I was going to make butter with. Disaster today with that! My food processor ran forever and: nada. After 20 min. I just put it in the fridge. I have made it before with success. I have no idea why it didn’t work this time. Wierd.

27. RALPH LANDRESS says

BUTTERMILK AND CORNBREAD (MADE WITH BUTTERMILK,CORNMEAL AND OTHER INGREDIENTS)IS A REAL TREAT FOR BUTTERMILK LOVERS.

28. jenny vega says

i made my own cultured buttermilk. i didnt find the way to do it here until today. i used a different ladys way of doing it. She had me fill my pint jar with cream, then add 2 tbsp of clabbered milk to it. then let sit out. She then said that you can scrape off the top solid stuff and use for butter and the rest is the buttermilk. in my jar the finished product was as she described. the top was pretty solid, the middle was whey and the bottom looked like your picture. i scrapped off the top and made butter (of course i had to add cream), then i mixed the rest together. is this right? i’m hoping this is cultured buttermilk and not a waste. thanks so much

29. Bree says

I made this buttermilk following your directions and my first pint jar turned out awesome – just like your photo and delicious. I was hoping that you might help me figure out what went wrong when I tried to use my homemade buttermilk as a starter for my next jar. It just didn’t combine. It sort of reminded me or sour milk the way it was curdly and runny. Any ideas? I put it back in my fridge in hopes that I could still save it if there is a chance!

This recipe looks so good I think I’m going to go to the store today, pick up the ingredients and make it! Your pictures look awesome and I can’t wait to try your recipe. Thanks for sharing it! Off to look at some more of your recipes~

31. Fred Potts says

One caution when making buttermilk at home. The process releases a small amount of carbon dioxide, which is harmless. However, in a closed container it can build up pressure to the point of a mild explosion when in a glass jar. When I was 4 years old, my mother was making buttermilk. She had a gallon jar with a lid on it. She shook the contents and the glass shattered, almost taking off her little finger. Several stitches and a few weeks later, she was OK, thank God. You should vent the bottle before shaking it.

I love home-made buttermilk!

32. Kermit Johnson says

I have been making cultured buttermilk for decades taught to me by my mother. She always used powdered or dry milk made up the night before. Then the next day she would use 1 cup of buttermilk to one half gallon of this dry milk mix and close with a tight fitting lid and shake well then place in a warm place for 12 to 24 hours. I have always gotten a good batch of buttermilk this way. I use this in baking.

33. Asok Asus says

Thanks for the great recipe! Worked like a charm! And so unbelievably easy! I used whole organic milk so I ended up with thick, rich organic buttermilk. And the best part for me is that I can make sweet, delicious buttermilk without the massive amount of sodium that’s in commercial buttermilk, not to mention all the nasty chemicals like the inflamation-inducing thickener carrageenan also used in commercial buttermilk. If only it was this easy to make organic, sodium-free cottage cheese :(

• Andy says

You can make cottage cheese at home. It is really easy to do… heat a gallon of organic skim milk to about 120 degrees F and turn off heat. Add 3/4 cup of white vinegar to the milk (don’t worry it you wont taste it when you are done) and stir until curds form. let the milk and vinegar set for a half hour then line a colander with a clean kitchen towel and pour the mixture into the towel. Break up the curds with your fingers until they are the size you want. Gather the ends of the towel and squeeze the excess whey out. Place the curds in a sealable bowl and put a tablespoon or so of whole organic heavy cream in the bowl as well and mix it up. Refrigerate and enjoy.

34. Melody says

Thank You!! I have been looking for this for quite a while, my Mother used to make this when I was a child. I Love ButterMilk! I Love Drinking it! Thanks a Lot. Buttermilk is good for you!

35. Lisa says

I just started some buttermilk, hope it turns out. Thanks for your info! We are hoping it will help my daughter’s tummy troubles.

Thanks for the how-to. I’ve just recently started getting raw milk from a friend with cows, and I’m learning how to do all kinds of stuff with it. I use buttermilk all the time in my bread, pancakes, cakes, etc. I found your blog by Googling “how to make homemade buttermilk.” I was looking for how to culture it. Thanks!

First off thanks for sharing this- I found you via Google and it looked so simple I decided to try it. I was curious. I checked my buttermilk this morning and it was the consistency of thin yogurt, a bit separated, and not as tart as I’d expect. Is this normal?

38. Adele says

Found via web when I googled “how long will buttermilk last” since I am baking with it today and my supply expired in Sept 2011…..thought I better buy a new buttermilk….but since it is “cultured” all those good bacteria may still be active….but then again I haven’t fed them since Sept and they are probably all pooped out….I think I will get a fresh batch and follow your suggestions for making home made buttermilk and actually use it! Does anyone know why the Organic Milk (3 half gallon cartons) from Costco can be used for such a long time – expiration is more than 3 weeks!

39. Suzanne Bon says

Rebecca…..HELP!
    Found your website – great stuff – thank you for sharing! My Italian/Canadian husband and I (100% Canadian) are living in England at the moment and started using buttermilk last year when we discovered (and starting making our own) Brown Irish Soda Bread! However, here, you can only buy a little container of approx. 10 oz. so we buy a lot of containers. Figured we could make our own and googled and voila – found you!
    Yesterday we did it – jar, buttermilk, topped with skim milk, put in the airing cupboard (a strange place used for many different things in this country…..it is a closet where the hot water tank sits and stays nice and warm all the time….not hot, just warm) brought it out this morning, shook it up, threw it in fridge and then left the house. Just came back, had a look and it now looks kind of scary…..it was completely separated, liquid on bottom, messy goo on top…..is this normal? I read through all the comments but nobody mentioned this! The container says cultured buttermilk, low fat, ideal for cooking…..could it be that different to North American stuff? I have not opened the jar yet…..I am afraid to!! Advice please.
    Thanks,
    Suzanne

• Tammy says

I think you just made cream cheese. :)

I’m struggling with the same thing. I’m trying to make cultured buttermilk just from raw milk with out a starter, but it fully separates in much less than 24 hours. I live in FL, so I’m thinking it’s just really warm here and it cultures quickly. So I made curds and whey, or cream cheese and whey. :) I’ve been using the whey for all sorts of fun things! I just haven’t quite figured out buttermilk yet.

There was another comment about cottage cheese that sounded similar. Either way, I think your nose will tell you right away if it’s soured correctly or if it’s actually spoiled b/c it didn’t actually culture.

I don’t think it’s going to be “bad” Suzanne, but you’ll have to give it a stir and use it more quickly. It sounds like maybe it cultured a bit too long. Perhaps the airing cupboard was just a touch on the too warm side? If you give it another shot, I’d pull it out a bit before when you did. Play with it a bit. Since it has those good cultures in there, it should still be safe to use.

41. Sri says

Hi there.. came across your bog via google, love it.
    Am trying to make my own buttermilk at home, but since we don’t have buttermilk in any stores here anywhere, can I use sour cream instead? Or, should I just buy the buttermilk cultures?

Would appreciate any info/help. Thanks!
    Sri

42. Priscilla says

Hello there,
    Just a quick question, we do not have commercial buttermilk in my current country (Ecuador), and you mentioned being able to home-culture the buttermilk to make a sort of starter… do you have any idea how I would do that here? The only thing I can think of that has bacteria here is plain drinkable yogurt, though I’m not thinking that’d be the solution I’m looking for. I have made old fashioned buttermilk by simply making butter from cream, but it just doesn’t have the consistency or taste I am used to from the States…
    Thanks so much, and I am hoping to be able to try your buttermilk recipe!!

• says

Hi Priscilla! If sour cream or creme fraiche is available, its an almost identical culture profile and would work almost interchangeably! You could try plain drinkable yogurt used as a starter with the same temperatures and quantities… I don’t think it would be a bad thing, but not necessarily the same. Kefir might be an option as well. My very favourite solution though, is to order dry, bulk buttermilk culture through http://www.leeners.com or http://www.cheesemaking.com I don’t know if you have any family members stateside who could pick some up and pop it in a care package to you, but it stores remarkably well and you can reculture it over and over and over again.
      Please let me know how you fare!

Hi. Interesting to hear about your buttermilk. I make lots of yogurt.Occasionally I go the store and buy a container and use some of it for starter/culture. I have friends that buy acidophilus at the health food store and put some of that in the milk for starter.