Most especially, I walked away ready to put guava paste in and on EVERYTHING. Oh my word, friends. Have you TRIED guava paste? It’s tangy, sweet, and perfect for adding a burst of fresh, fruity flavour to main dishes, appetizers, and desserts alike. We have taken to slicing guava paste and serving it with our cheese trays when I’ve been too lazy or busy to get to the store for fresh fruit. It is something I don’t want my pantry to be without now. In the workshop, Meseidy and Carla prepared a traditional Cuban dessert of cream cheese and guava paste wrapped in dough and fried. Today, I’m going to share this quick, simple, and impressive sweet with you. I like to fry them up, cool them slightly, then wrap them in foil and tuck them into our picnic basket. I think they’ll make an appearance for packed lunches on field trips this coming fall, too. It’s a perfect little combination of creamy, sweet, fruity, and tangy in a flaky little hand pie package!
- I love using Goya Discos for this job for the sake of speed, but my friend Meseidy has a fantastic recipe for a homemade version of the dough. I highly recommend it!
- Guava paste is widely available (most grocery stores who carry it will have it in the Goya or Hispanic foods section.) I order Guava Paste (affiliate link) from Amazon.com, though, because I prefer guava paste that doesn’t have artificial colours or high fructose corn syrup.
- I prefer the texture of my little hand pies when they’re deep fried, but I know a lot of people fear deep frying. The recipe includes instructions for baked hand pies. One of these days, though, I will convince the world that deep frying is easy-peasy as long as you’re paying attention!
To fry these little beauties, I used my brand-spankin’ new T-Fal Cool-Touch Deep Fryer from JCPenney. After having made due for years with frying pans on my oven (and cleaning up the inevitable oily mess that resulted from it) I was excited to delve into tidier, safer deep frying. Besides being a cleaner, safer way to deep-fry, it has the added bonuses of keeping my house from smelling like a professional kitchen during pub hours AND being a convenient place to store my frying oil.
The good folks at JCPenney have a fantastic and robust home goods section. In fact, throughout the month of July, they’ve been hosting a celebrity designer in store, fielding LIVE design questions that you can submit to them via Facebook. Be sure to submit YOUR design questions via the JCPenney Facebook page and watch to see if you’re answered live by a celebrity designer! As a bonus, you can also receive a 20% off a home product offer. The final Designer Day is this Wednesday 7/30 with designer David Bromstad in Dallas – make sure to submit your home design question! And check out all the great home advice from the previous participating designers on the JCPenney Designer Days Playlist on YouTube here.
That’s not everything, though! To help you all solve your own home design or gadget needs, JCPenney is offering a $100 JCPenney Gift Card to one Foodie with Family reader. All you have to do to be entered for a chance to win is answer the following question in the comments: What is the one item you need or want the most for your kitchen or home?
No duplicate comments.
You may receive (2) total entries by selecting from the following entry methods:
- 1. Leave a comment in response to the sweepstakes prompt on this post
- 2. Tweet (public message) about this promotion; including exactly the following unique term in your tweet message: “#SweepstakesEntry”; and leave the URL to that tweet in a comment on this post
- 3. Blog about this promotion, including a disclosure that you are receiving a sweepstakes entry in exchange for writing the blog post, and leave the URL to that post in a comment on this post
- 4. For those with no Twitter or blog, read the official rules to learn about an alternate form of entry.
This giveaway is open to US Residents age 18 or older. Winners will be selected via random draw, and will be notified by e-mail. The notification email will come directly from BlogHer via the sweeps@blogher email address. You will have 72 hours to respond; otherwise a new winner will be selected.
The Official Rules are available here.
This sweepstakes runs from 7/28 -8/25/2014.
Be sure to visit the JCPenney brand page on BlogHer.com where you can read other bloggers’ posts!