My Grandma -survivor of 5 go-rounds with cancer- discovered that she had breast cancer at the age of 86. The doctor delicately told her that her previous treatment history indicated she should have a radical double mastectomy, making it clear he was sorry to have to deliver the news. She drew herself up, and without hesitation looked at the doctor and said, “Take them off! I’m done with them!” The radical double mastectomy and early detection saved her life and gave us the gift of more time with her.
Breasts. I’m going to say it again. Breasts. Breasts. Breasts. Breasts. We all have them and I want you all -every single one of you- to do a self-exam this month and every month afterward. Please keep your breasts on your brain (not literally) and take care of yourselves. I want you here for as long as I am here writing. So what do we all do about it?
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month
I’m sure you’ve seen all sorts of merchandise and things festooned with pink ribbons. That’s nice, and all, but what we really need to do is get ourselves into a habit of monthly self checks. That early detection of knowing a change from one month to the next will actively save lives. And if you want to make a difference in the realm of research, make a donation to the cause. We don’t know when that cure or miracle treatment could come down the pike, and we won’t know unless research is vast, constant, and well-funded. This month at JCPenney, you can round up your purchases to the nearest dollar amount. Contributions will go to JCPenney Cares (#JCPCares) to directly fund programs supporting breast cancer awareness. In other words, your change can equal REAL CHANGE in the fight against breast cancer.
Giveaway: JCPenney is generously offering a $100 JCPenney gift card to one (1) Foodie with Family reader. You can use that however you like at your favourite JCPenney. If you want, you can even buy items to donate to your local breast health clinic or someone you love who is undergoing treatment. Maybe some comfy throw blankets? Or some soft, cozy pajamas? How to Enter for a Chance to Win: Answer one of the following questions:
- Have you or someone you love been personally effected by breast cancer?
- Ladies: Do you do faithful monthly self-checks?
- What do you do to help with breast cancer awareness?
No duplicate comments.
You may receive (2) total entries by selecting from the following entry methods:
1. Leave a comment in response to the sweepstakes prompt on this post
2. Tweet (public message) about this promotion; including exactly the following unique term in your tweet message: “#SweepstakesEntry”; and leave the URL to that tweet in a comment on this post
3. Blog about this promotion, including a disclosure that you are receiving a sweepstakes entry in exchange for writing the blog post, and leave the URL to that post in a comment on this post
4. For those with no Twitter or blog, read the official rules to learn about an alternate form of entry.
This giveaway is open to US Residents age 18 or older. Winners will be selected via random draw, and will be notified by e-mail. The notification email will come directly from BlogHer via the sweeps@blogher email address. You will have 72 hours to respond; otherwise a new winner will be selected.
The Official Rules are available here.
This sweepstakes runs from 10/15/2014 – 11/12/2014.