I’m happy to have developed today’s recipe for Golden Honey Milk as part of my partnership with Horizon Organic. I love cooking with their naturally good products and I feel great about feeding them to my active kids. And my kids love the soothing, calming, just-sweet-enough Golden Honey Milk which is full of warming spices to help you wind down at the end of the day.
My guys have a little trouble winding down at a proper bed time. Their brains get going and just can’t stop. Do you or your kids have the whirling dervish of a mind issue? One helpful little trick we’ve discovered comes courtesy of one of the kids’ favourite film directors: Hiyao Miyazaki. In the film “Ponyo”, the mother prepares hot milk with honey and cinnamon. To approximate that, I combine the Ponyo Honey Milk with the much-hyped golden milk of Ayurvedic medicine. The result is a hot milk drink lightly sweetened with honey and spiced with cinnamon, turmeric, ginger, and a hint of black pepper.
- Why black pepper? Well, honestly, it’s because turmeric is absolutely chock-a-block with fabulous nutritive properties, but it needs to be in the presence of black pepper to unlock its ultimate ability. And more than that, it needs black pepper in combination with heating to really get to its potential. And black pepper just gives a hint of background heat in this recipe, making it play second or third fiddle to the warming cinnamon, ginger, and turmeric, but making it an indispensable part of the round, filling spice in the Golden Honey Milk.
- You’re mixing up far more of the Golden Honey Milk Spice than you’ll need for one batch of Golden Honey Milk, but it’s awfully nice to have on hand. Some nights you just need a little warming, comforting drink before you go to bed, and this is actually good for you!
- If you want a little extra nutritional boost, use Horizon Whole Milk with DHA Omega-3 added which may support Brain Health. What a nice thing to do for yourself before bed!
- Regarding your choice of honey; use a mild one, preferably, but whatever honey you like the best. I prefer to use raw honey for the added benefits, and stir it in at the end to keep it from overheating.
Use this to make Golden Honey Milk
Connect with Foodie with Family
Please show our sponsor, Horizon Organic, some love for their lovely products. You can sign up for their newsletter or connect with them in the following ways.
Connect with Horizon Organic
Golden Honey Milk
Soothing, calming, just-sweet-enough Golden Honey Milk is full of warming spices to help you wind down at the end of the day.
For Golden Honey Milk Spice Mix
- 1/2 cup turmeric powder
- 1/4 cup ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 pinch ground cayenne pepper
To Make the Golden Honey Milk
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 teaspoons Golden Honey Milk Spice Mix
- 2 tablespoons raw mild honey
To Make the Golden Honey Milk Spice Mix
Whisk together all of the spice mix ingredients. Store in an airtight jar or container at room temperature out of direct light.
To Make Golden Honey Milk
Pour the whole milk into a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in the 2 teaspoons of Golden Honey Milk Spice Mix until even in colour. Continue whisking occasionally until steam rises from the surface of the milk. Turn the heat off and whisk in the raw honey. If you want milk with no spices in it, you can strain it into a mug.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Horizon. The opinions and text are all mine.