Spicy Saucy Black Beans
- 4 cups cooked black beans
- 1 (14-18 ounce) can petite diced tomatoes ~or~ 6 ounces tomato paste whisked together with 1 1/4 cups cold water
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon minced, fresh garlic or garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- optional, fresh cilantro for garnish
Drizzle the olive oil into a medium, heavy bottomed saucepan. Warm the oil over medium-high heat. When oil is hot, add the onions and sprinkle with the salt. Stir to distribute the salt evenly and cook gently. If onions begin to brown lower heat and continue cooking until the onions are mostly translucent and soft, about 5-7 minutes. Add remaining ingredients -except the cilantro, if using- and stir well.
Cook the beans over medium heat until bubbly and thickened, about 10 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent sticking. Serve the beans, garnished with cilantro if desired, hot, warm, or cold.