- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 16 ounces grated Cheddar cheese (I like to use a blend of extra sharp and sharp cheddar.)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 of a small onion, grated
- 2-3 Tablespoons pimientos (or roasted red peppers) smashed with juice from the jar.
- 1/2 teaspoon each granulated garlic, granulated onion, coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
Add the cream cheese, mayonnaise, grated onion, granulated garlic and onion, salt and freshly ground pepper to the work bowl of your food processor that has been fitted with the blade. Pulse until smooth.
Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add the shredded cheddar. Pulse seven or eight short bursts; just until the cheese is mixed into the cream cheese. Scrape down the bowl again and add the pimientos with their juice.
Pulse four or five more short bursts; just until the pimientos are chopped to the point where they are blended in, but still in recognizable pieces. Use a silicone scraper or spatula to transfer the mixture to a serving dish or storage container. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for about an hour prior to serving to allow the flavors to meld.
Leftovers can be kept tightly wrapped in the refrigerator for up to a week.
If you do not have a food processor simply combine all the ingredients in a large bowl and stir vigorously with a sturdy spoon until thoroughly blended.