Recipe adapted from the Stash Tea Company
- 10 standard-sized Chai teabags (I prefer the Stash brand.)
- 7 cups cool fresh water
- 1 cup whole milk plus additional milk for frothing
- 1/4-1/2 cup sugar, depending on how sweet you like your chai
- Optional: whole cinnamon sticks for a flavorful garnish
Combine water, milk and sugar in a large, heavy-bottomed pan. Add the teabags to the liquid and bring to a boil, partially covered. Remove cover and let simmer for 10 minutes. Remove and discard tea bags. Pour chai into a tea pot (or into a Mason jar with a lid for storage in the refrigerator.)
To froth milk, use a handheld frother or pour at least 1/4 cup of milk into a blender and process until fluffy. Put milk in a microwave safe container,uncovered, and heat for between 30 seconds and 1 minute, depending on the strength of your microwave. Watch closely, because the milk expands and wants to boil over.
To serve, fill a mug 2/3 full with the hot chai. Spoon the frothed milk over the tea until you reach the rim of the mug. Garnish with a cinnamon stick. Use the cinnamon stick to swirl the hot milk and chai together.
Hot Caramel Apple Cider
Ingredients per serving:
- 6 ounces (3/4 of a cup) fresh apple cider
- 1 Tablespoon dulce de leche or caramel sauce
- Heavy whipped cream, to taste
Heat apple cider in a saucepan or in the microwave just until steaming. Stir in a generous tablespoon of dulce de leche or caramel sauce until it is completely melted. Top the cider with whipped cream just before serving.