Buttermilk Coleslaw is creamy, tangy, slightly sweet, and crunchy as all get out with two simple vegetables sharing billing for center stage; cabbage and carrots. There's nothing complicated about it at all, it's just effortlessly perfect.
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup real cultured buttermilk purchased or homemade
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar preferably raw
- the juice of half a lemon
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small head cabbage cored and thinly sliced or coarsely shredded, about 8 cups
- 3 large carrots peeled and cut into very thin matchsticks or coarsely shredded, about 2 cups
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, buttermilk, granulated sugar, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, kosher salt, and black pepper until smooth. Toss in the shredded cabbage and carrot and cover. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving. When stored in an airtight container, the coleslaw is good for up to 5 days in the refrigerator. Toss well before serving.