Bacon Horseradish Potato Salad
Make your 4th of July party food more exciting than the fireworks with this potato salad made of tender, earthy potatoes tossed with a little cider vinegar and the white parts of green onions while they're still hot from boiling. After they're chilled through, they're tossed with the thinly sliced green parts of the green onions, large amounts of crisp, crumbled bacon, and a creamy horseradish sauce. Hard-boiled eggs are optional!
- 2 pounds small red potatoes scrubbed and cut into even, bite-sized pieces
- 6 green onions scrubbed, trimmed, and cut into thin slices, white pieces separated from the green
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 12 slices of bacon fried 'til crisp, drained on paper towel, and crumbled
- 4 hard boiled eggs Optional!, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 cup mayonnaise or more, to taste
- 1 tablespoon to 1/3 cup prepared horseradish to taste
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Bring a large pot of water to a boil and salt it generously. Add the potatoes to the water, return to a boil, and lower the heat to maintain a simmer. Cook the potatoes just until fork tender and drain immediately in a colander. Let the potatoes stand in a colander to drain for at least 3 minutes, then transfer the still hot potatoes to a large mixing bowl. Stir in the thinly sliced white parts of the green onions, then drizzle the apple cider vinegar over the top and gently toss. Cover with plastic wrap and put in the refrigerator to chill completely before proceeding.
When the potatoes are cold through and through, remove the plastic wrap and add the crumbled bacon (reserving 2 tablespoons for garnish), chopped hard-boiled eggs (if using), mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon of the horseradish, and thinly sliced green parts of the green onions (reserving 2 tablespoons for garnish). Gently toss to combine, taste the salad, adjust with salt, pepper, and additional horseradish (if needed), stir again to combine, and adjust as necessary. Cover tightly with plastic wrap or transfer to an airtight container, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, but preferably overnight before serving. Before serving, stir well, taste, and adjust with additional dressing if needed. Garnish with reserved bacon and green onions!
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.