Best Thing Tomatoes
Thick, concentrated, brick-red, umami-bomb, roasted tomato puree. This is as easy and as wonderful as preserving tomatoes can get.
Per Half Sheet Pan:
- 3 to 4 pounds roma tomatoes cored and quartered
- 3 to 4 pounds beefsteak or vine ripe tomatoes cored and quartered
- 2 onions peeled, root end removed, cut into wedges
- 1 head garlic peeled and left whole
- 1 bunch thyme leaves stripped from the stems
- 1 bunch oregano leaves stripped from the stems
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup to 1 3/4 cups pinot noir or pinot grigio or 3/4 cup balsamic vinegar mixed with 1/2 cup water
Put the tomatoes on the rimmed half sheet pan. Scatter the onion wedges, garlic cloves, stripped herb leaves, salt, and pepper over the tomatoes. Drizzle the olive oil evenly. Place the pan (or as many sheet pans as you can do at once) in the oven and turn the heat to 350F. Roast for at least 4 hours and 30 minutes* (see notes), or until the tomatoes have shriveled and are deeply caramelized and smell strongly, there is some blackness around the edges, and the onions and garlic are caramelized. Remove from the oven and scrape the contents directly into a blender or food processor. Pour in the wine or balsamic and water mixture. Blend or process on high until smooth. Divide between small freezer bags or snack sized re-sealable containers and freeze for up to a year.
IMPORTANT NOTE: This recipe is NOT engineered for being cooked in a convection oven. If you have a convection oven, you will need to watch the tomatoes far earlier for doneness.
If you have a categorical dislike of anything with a little char, you may want to start checking your tomatoes around 2 hours. I definitely prefer them far more done (closer to the 4.5 hour mark) because of the super concentrated flavour it gives the resulting paste.
Calories: 44kcal | Carbohydrates: 3g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 351mg | Potassium: 82mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 231IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 6mg | Iron: 1mg