Lazy Sushi Bowls (a.k.a. Scattered Sushi)
Lazy Sushi -seasoned sushi rice topped with your favourite sushi toppings- is great for fun family dinners, entertaining (because EVERYONE Lazy Sushi Bowls (a.k.a. Scattered Sushi)loves it), movie nights and those hot, steamy summer nights when the mere thought of cooking makes you break into a sweat. These are also great for picnics and brown-bag lunches. Just store the rice outside of the refrigerator (or cooler) and keep the remaining ingredients chilled. Assemble and eat!
For the Sushi Dressing:
- 1 cup plain rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons raw sugar or white granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons kosher or sea salt
For each serving of Lazy Sushi:
- 1/4-1/2 cup uncooked short grain rice preferably sweet brown rice, but short grain white rice is good, too.
- 1 tablespoon Sushi Dressing see above
- 1/4 of a ripe avocado (peeled, pitted and cubed), tossed with a little rice vinegar to prevent browning
- 1/4 cup Sweet and Spicy Asian Style Pickled Carrots or 1/2 of a carrot grated or peeled into thin strips with a vegetable peeler
- 1/4 cup Asian Marinated Cucumber Salad or about 2 tablespoons of finely cubed English or seedless cucumbers
- 1/2 of the contents of a drained can of Albacore tuna flaked
- 2-4 pieces of fully cooked shrimp cleaned with the tails removed
- 3-4 small cubes about 1/4-inch or so cold cream cheese
- thinly sliced green onions to taste
- wasabi to taste
- soy sauce to taste
- torn or cut nori (or furikake to taste
- toasted sesame seeds to taste
To Make the Sushi Dressing:
Combine all of the dressing ingredients in a microwave safe bowl (or in a small saucepan), heat until very warm and stir until the sugar and salt are dissolved. Pour into a canning jar or other heat proof container with a tight fitting lid and store in the refrigerator for up to one month, using as needed.
To Prepare the Lazy Sushi Bowls:
Cook the rice according to package instructions (I prefer to use my rice cooker.) When the rice is done, turn it into a large-ish mixing bowl, fluff it gently and pour the appropriate amount of Sushi Dressing over the top. Fold the dressing in gently, taking care not to smash the rice. Lay damp paper towels over the surface of the rice to prevent it from drying out and let the rice cool to room temperature.
When the rice is cool, divide among serving bowls and let the diners assemble their own Lazy Sushi.
To Pack for Lunch or a Meal Away from Home:
Pack the rice in a container with a tight fitting lid and a great deal of room between the rice and the top of the container. (This is to accommodate the toppings once added.) Pack the toppings in separate containers, combining those items which need refrigeration (such as the fish, cubed avocados with rice vinegar, cream cheese, etc...) Store the rice outside of the refrigerator (preferably in a cool-but-not-cold, dark place) and the remaining ingredients in the refrigerator (or cooler). Assemble just before eating.