Tex Mex Cobb Salad
Tex-Mex Cobb Salad has peppers, black beans, roasted corn, carnitas, green onions, hard boiled eggs, cilantro, olives, limes, avocados, & pepper jack.
- 1 fresh ear of corn kernels cut from the cob, or 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 heart of romaine lettuce cored, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 hard boiled eggs peeled and thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup fully cooked black beans canned or homemade, drained and rinsed
- 3/4 cup halved cherry tomatoes or chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 of an English cucumber cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1/2 of a red bell pepper cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1/3 cup kalamata or black olives drained
- 1 cup leftover carnitas or pulled pork
- 2 green onions root end trimmed, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup small cubes habanero cheddar or pepper jack cheese about 4 ounces
- 1 avocado cut into cubes and sprinkled with lime juice to prevent browning
- 1 fresh lime cut into wedges
Place a cast-iron or other heavy-bottomed skillet over high heat and let it get hot enough for water to skitter over the surface when sprinkled on the pan. Add the corn and a generous pinch of salt and stir. Let the corn dry fry in the pan for three minutes, or until the corn is fragrant, has released some liquid, and has some golden brown spots. Transfer the corn to a plate to cool.
On a large serving platter, arrange the bite sized pieces of romaine lettuce. Arrange the remaining ingredients on top of the lettuce in stripes in the following order: cilantro leaves, hard boiled egg slices, black beans, tomatoes, cucumber cues, red bell pepper cubes, olives, carnitas or pulled pork, and thinly sliced green onions. Arrange the avocado cubes and cheese cubes along the sides perpendicularly to the other stripes. Scatter lime wedges over the salad and serve. If desired, Fritos make a wonderful garnish.
Calories: 324kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 21g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 129mg | Sodium: 304mg | Potassium: 880mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 3680IU | Vitamin C: 40.7mg | Calcium: 133mg | Iron: 2.6mg