Shaved Asparagus Salad with Bacon, Blue Cheese, and Buttermilk Vinaigrette
Fresh asparagus becomes silky, crisp and tender when shaved with a vegetable peeler and tossed with crispy bacon crumbles, paper thin red onion, bleu cheese crumbles, finely chopped green onion, and a smooth, tangy buttermilk vinaigrette.
- 2 pounds thick asparagus stalks washed and trimmed
- 6 slices thick bacon cooked 'til crispy, crumbled or finely chopped
- 2 green onions trimmed of the root ends
- 6 thin slices of half of a red onion
- 1/8 cup bleu cheese crumbles
For the Buttermilk Vinaigrette:
- 1/4 cup cultured buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 green onion green part only, finely minced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Use a vegetable peeler to shave thin strips from the asparagus stalks. Reserve the thick inner parts that cannot be shaved in a ziptop bag in the refrigerator for a stir-fry or in the freezer for cream of asparagus soup. Put the shaved asparagus in a mixing bowl and toss with the crumbled bacon, red onion, and bleu cheese crumbles. Set aside.
Whisk together all of the ingredients for the dressing until smooth. Pour over asparagus salad and toss to coat. Serve immediately.
To Assemble Ahead of Time: