- 2 pounds super lean ground beef
- 3 cups cold water
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 packet dry enchilada sauce seasoning mix (available in the Mexican foods aisle or near the taco fixins. Yes. I said ‘fixins’.)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Optional for serving: sandwich buns or bread, avocado slices or guacamole, salsa, shredded cheese, tomato and onion slices, in short, taco toppings…
Break up and brown the ground beef in a large soup pot over medium high heat. When just browned and no longer pink, add the water, tomato paste and dry enchilada sauce mix and stir well. Bring to a boil, stir well, and lower heat. Stirring frequently, simmer for about 30 minutes, or until very thick. The goal for simmering this is to create a thick meat filling that holds together when scooped onto a bun. It should not have sauce running off it, but should still be very moist.