If there is one immutable law in this house, it is that finger food is always going to disappear like David Copperfield. Anything that is bite-sized, little, on a stick or otherwise easily portable, or shove-into-the-mouth-able is going to be an easy sale.
With Super Sunday—the crowned jewel of the snack food calendar—right around the corner, I’m assembling my master plan for feeding my football-crazy crew keeping them happy, whatever the outcome of the game. We have some tried and true recipes that cannot be left off of the menu (chicken wings, soft pretzel wrapped smoked sausages, dill pickle dip, and more…), but each year we add a fun new recipe or two to the rotation. This year’s star addition is Cheeseburger Bites from the Land O’Lakes Big Game Recipe Collection of simple, crowd-pleasing recipes.
I made this recipe to have on hand for the webinar I co-hosted with Amber from the Land O’Lakes test kitchen this past Friday. A girl has to keep her energy up while she’s chatting up a virtual room full of fabulous bloggers, right? Hi. I’m Rebecca, I’m a stress eater.”
Here’s the point. I made them, put them on the counter, and found five little men at my elbows giving me the usual shake-down: “What’s that?”, “Is that meat?”, “Can I eat one?”, “Can I eat four?”, “Can I eat all of them?”
Before I knew what had happened, three-quarters of the platter was empty.
I only had a handful of Cheeseburger Bites and a bowlful of dark chocolate chunks and pretzels in my lap to sustain me. Poor me.
- 36-48 wonton wrappers trimmed to 3-inch squares
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- ½ cup finely minced or grated onion
- 1 clove of garlic, peeled and minced or pressed (or ¼ teaspoon of garlic powder)
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, preferably freshly ground
- 1 cup finely chopped dill pickles, divided
- ½ cup milk
- 14 slices Land O Lakes Deli American
- toasted sesame seeds, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350°F with a rack positioned in the middle of the oven.
- Lightly spray mini-muffin pans with non-stick cooking spray. Gently press one trimmed wonton square into each muffin cup.
- Place pan in the center of the oven rack and bake for 5-10 minutes, watching carefully as they burn easily!
- Immediately turn the wonton cups out onto a cooling rack to cool completely. While they cool, turn your attention to the filling.
- Add the minced onion, garlic, and black pepper to a small frying or sautee pan. Use your hands to break up the ground beef over the onion and cook over medium heat, breaking the beef down into very small pieces with a sturdy spoon, until it is cooked through and browned. Tear up the slices of American cheese and add them to the pan along with the milk. Continue cooking, stirring to help the process, until the cheese is completely melted and the mixture is creamy. At this point, you can remove some of the mixture for anyone who is not a pickle fiend. To the remaining cheesy beef mixture, add about ½ cup of the chopped pickles and stir them in well. Spoon the mixture into the wonton cups and garnish with the rest of the chopped pickles and a sprinkling of toasted sesame seeds.
- Serve immediately.
Lack of snacks for me aside, the webinar was a hoot. It was my first time on the co-hosting end of one and I have to say it was a real treat to get to interact with so many talented people from the blogosphere.
I really showed my true nerd colours and I admitted to “MacGyvering” my way through dinner parties by using a garden-variety heating pad disguised by a not-yet-ruined-by-boys hand towel to keep a platter of hot appetizers warm. Yeah. I did that. And not only did no one tell me I was nuts, someone actually told me it was a good idea.
My word, you people are the whole package.
Speaking of packages, participating bloggers were given a sweet prize package to give away to readers, self included! These prize packages -I think you’ll agree- are pretty darned fabulous.
- One large serving platter, one Emile Henry pizza stone and one coupon for
Land O Lakes® Deli Cheese and one insulated shopping bag. As Amber from the Test Kitchen shared with us, she uses the insulated grocery bag to carry hot appetizers to friends’ parties. BRILLIANT!
Would you like to win one of these packages for yourself? Here’s how to enter!
MANDATORY ENTRY: Leave a comment here sharing your favourite munchies for game day or any occasion. If your family is insane over the dish, maybe you could even leave some instructions here. Hint hint…
OPTIONAL ENTRIES (Be sure to leave a separate comment for each method you use so you’re sure to get credit for each one.)
Subscribe to Foodie with Family using the handy-dandy “Subscribe to my blog” button in the right hand sidebar then let me know in a comment!
- Like Foodie with Family on Facebook.
- Follow Foodie with Family on Twitter.
- Follow Foodie with Family on Instagram.
- Follow my Foodie with Family boards on Pinterest.
- Like Lake O’Lakes on Facebook.
- Follow the Land O’Lakes Test Kitchen on Twitter.
- Follow Land O’Lakes on Instagram.
- Follow Land O’Lakes on Pinterest.
The Pick Giveaway Winner plugin chose ‘seas’ as our winner on Wednesday, January 30, 2013. Please check your email for details!
Hungry for more chances to win? Visit any of these fantastic bloggers who participated in our webinar to enter their giveaways!
Disclosure: I’ve partnered with Land O Lakes® Deli Cheese. This blog post is sponsored by Land O’Lakes.